Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 18:25:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/bin [was: Re: executable scripts]

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Michael Maxwell wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 08:58:43PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> > I'm just playing with an initial install of FreeBSD for the
> > first time and had noticed the way ports polluted /usr/local
> > which I have always considered to be *mine*.  I've noted that
> > BSDI use /usr/contrib for the sort of stuff that FreeBSD puts in
> > /usr/local, and that seems more sensible to me if there is
> ---end quoted text---
>
> I just reverse the process: I let the ports and packages fall where they
> may, and I put locally compiled or developed programs in /usr/contrib.

	I like /usr/mine personally, but it's a matter of taste. :) The
whole /usr/local idea is widespread, it's not just FreeBSD. Better to
establish a totally unique location for your stuff that no one else is
likely to use than it is to try and fight the battle every time it comes
up.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

     Like desperadoes waiting for a train . . .