Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:36:42
From:      "Bala Viswanathan" <balaviswanathan@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP performance

I have been trying to get some idea of the status of SMP support
in FreeBSD-current especially as far as performance is concerned. I
have looked at the FreeBSD SMP Project page, other related
links and the archives of the various FreeBSD mailing lists.
But have not found any information that appears current.

So I ran a synthetic benchmark to measure the performance of
a FreeBSD system running a -current kernel (cvsup'ed on July 17th,
2001) as a network file server. The test involves a number of
simulated clients connecting over TCP to file server processes
running on the FreeBSD systems and reading/writing files. Each
client was serviced by a dedicated process and used its own
set of files. The client processes were distributed among
a bunch of Solaris 2.7 systems that I had available.
The system running FreeBSD was a Intel STL2 server system with 2 Pentium 3
cpus. Here is the cpu description output by dmesg:

CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (999.72-MHz 686-class CPU)

Based on the results from my tests, the performance of a non-SMP
kernel was twice that of a SMP kernel. Is this the expected results
given the status of the SMP support in current? If this is
expected then does anyone know approximately when one can expect
SMP support to improve performance. If not, i.e. results are
unexpected, are there any SMP specific tuning parameters that I
need to be looking at?

Please note that this first mail intentionally lacks in details about
my configuration and tests. My intent is to get a feel for the
progress of the SMP support in FreeBSD.

thanks in advance,

Bala