Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:56:44 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-DP2

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 02:45 am, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> Now that 5.0-DP2 is out, isn't it a good idea to make a press release out
> of it, that the media can quote from? Remember, we need to hype 5.0...

Since I was challenged to offer benefits corresponding with 5.0 features,
here's a tentative list for a few features that strike my fancy...

FreeBSD now has additional support from many hot-swappable devices, such as
Firewire and USB modems. New classes of consumer devices are available to the
FreeBSD user, increasing the value of their hardware investment.

FreeBSD now supports an extensible Mandatory Access Control framework and
filesystem Access Control Lists (ACLs). A robust and flexible security
framework lets systems administrators sleep easily. Access to sensitive
company data can be easily partitioned among development groups.

The uvisor(4) driver for connecting Handspring Visors via USB has been added.
Users of FreeBSD can now use their Handspring Visors with all of their
systems at home or at work.

Support for the 80386 processor has been removed from the GENERIC kernel. The
default FreeBSD kernel is now more optimized for modern CPUs. No longer do
you have to settle for performance draining compatibility with hardware you
haven't owned in a decade.

``Zero copy'' support has been added to the networking stack. This eliminates
one of the more significant bottlenecks in network throughput, improving the
performance of your network servers and front line portals.

FreeBSD can now treat ATA devices as SCSI devices. Software that expects SCSI
hardware can now be used even if your hardware is the common and inexpensive
ATA format. Now there is no need to reboot into another operating system to
burn your Compact Discs.

Preliminary Cardbus support under NEWCARD has been added. Installing and using
FreeBSD on laptops has never been easier!

Drivers have been added to support the Direct Rendering Infrastructure, which
can used to provide 3D acceleration within XFree86. Faster graphics and
higher framerates means that FreeBSD is more suitable than ever for 3D gaming
and scientific simulations.

fsck now has support for background checks, speeding up the boot process.
Harddrives can now be checked while you work on other tasks.

gcc has been updated to version 3.2.1. The full power of C++ templates and the
STL are available to the developer, while gaining even greater code
optimization.

FreeBSD packages are now compressed with bzip2, a more efficient data
compression method than gzip. Packages smaller and consume less of your
valuable bandwidth and storage. A network install of FreeBSD will be faster
than ever.

That's it... Just some ideas...

David Johnson