Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 02:44:15 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anybody seen this?

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 02:57:26PM +0200, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Well, have a look at: http://www.gnu.org
>
> There it reads that Stallman decided to dedicate his life to free software,
> and begun programming some new OS, beginning with a compiler.
> But he ran into several difficulties with the kernel, and finally, as he
> had some part of the userland ready, linux was "invented", and so he took
> the kernel from linux, thus making it the GNU operating system with the
> linux kernel, referred to as GNU/Linux.

This is some very creative quoting you have here. I'm impressed.

In fact, Stallman writes there (e.g. on
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html) quite explicitly that Linus
Torvalds wrote Linux and not that it was "invented", and he specifically
acknowledges *other* projects rather than GNU as those who integrated
GNU stuff with the kernel. In particular, he stresses that the GNU project
did not adapt glibc to Linux, not did it address boot/install issues.

> Well, ok- Linux really is the kernel, and depending on the userland that
> the vendors configure, it may be a GNU userland under the GPL, or it may be
> some commercial environment, maybe  one designed to run the new business
> apps on the AS/400.

Are you aware of how inane you sound here? I'd like you to point out to me
any distribution of Linux which does not have cp(1), or uses cp(1) coming
not from binutils.

Presumably a *FreeBSD* user would be aware of OS being not just the kernel,
as the unified OS development is one of the best things in BSDs versus Linux.
To think what blind hatred makes of people...

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/