Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 15:26:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alan Krantz <atk@mathcs.emory.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Best way to detect break in

What is the best way to detect a break in ? For example, is there a program
that will make a checksum of all system software and then compare current
checksum to this checksum (as well as other useful checks)?

I'm not on this mailing list - not sure if that makes a difference with
regards to getting responses. I did look on freebsd.org/security and
while they gave hints as to what to do if you detect a break in they
didn't really discuss the art of detecting a clever break in...

Thanks,
Alan