Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:00:49 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to run Window Maker and Afterstep with startX

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:16:46AM +0100, Ladislav Kostal wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Roberto Armenteros wrote:
>
> >  I run echo "usr/local/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
> > making kde the default environment when running
> > startx. But I also have WindowMaker and AfterStep
> > installed, but I dont know how to get into those.
> > Would someone tell me how to do this. Also, how do I
> > set up the system to start X on boot "so I can choose
> > the destop environment I want to use with a graphical
> > interface"
>
> For windowmaker, before first run type wmaker.inst, which creates
> directory GNUstep in your home and setup .xinitrc.

That is not exactly what he asked.
You could use "gdm" or "kdm" but I have had difficulty getting
either of them to work properly recently. They present a
graphical login screen and you can select a windowmanager
you want to use from them.
First try running them by hand, as root, try typing gdm or
kdm. If you are lucky you will hear a click and a screen
will pop up on virtual console 9 with a login greeting.
Even if you get that you may still not be able to login,
I have yet to get the right authentication mechanisms
configured for GDM (someone else may have cracked this).

If they do you could invoke one of them on system startup.

An alternative is to have a little shell-script that asks
you what you want to run and creates a suitable .xinitrc
before calling startx.

I will mail mail you an example of mine if you like.

--
Regards
Cliff