Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        KeFkA KaOs <kefka_@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multilink error's

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 groggy@iname.com wrote:

> > > Hi, im trying to use multilink with new ppp-980915. I can't seem to
> > > configure it right...
> >
> > it seemed pretty straightforward to me.  I just tried to set up multilink
> > against a server that doesn't support it. :-(
>
> i always wanted to know how to do something similiar.
> multi-homing.  i can't find any info on it in the
> archives.  i wish i could have 2 modems on a server
> connected to the internet.  2 different IP's.

For starters multilink PPP in usermode ppp is supported only on 3.0.

Secondly, it's not totally fully documented, but there is enough to get
you going.  The big thing to understand is that each modem (or 'link') is
handled independently, and you have to qualify commands for which link
you're modifying.  Conceptually, it's very clean, but the implementation
on the CLI has some potholes.

> then i'd like to assign, say 4 dialups to always
> route to one of the modems, and another 4 dialups
> to always route to and from the other modem.
>
> essentially, multi-link, but without the ISP
> requirements and with 2 IP addresses.

Sounds like you want multirouting rather than multilink.

Doug White