Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:38:16 -0800
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   order of enet interface drivers

Hello;
I have two identical intel interface cards installed
in a ASUS N2M32 pro motherboard. The os version
is 6.2 GENERIC running on AMD64, socket AM2.
The motherboard has dual interfaces that use Marvell
drivers. I cannot use these with this version of FreeBSD
as yet. So I got two Intel interface cards that work in
PCIe slots. Because of the hardware component situation
on this motherboard  I cannot use the interfaces in PCIe lane
one slots as on of these slots is blocked, physically, and the
card will not fit. So I am using the two PCIe lane 16 slots.
I modified rc.conf (see PS at bottom) to bring up the interfaces at
boot.
They both come up and running with network addressess
assigned, as em0 an em1.
The problem:
I can ping em0 from local host and connect to ftp and ssh
from the inside network, all is well
I cannot ping em1.
ifconfig shows it up and running, with no carrier, I.E. no
network cable attached but I should be able to ping it
from local host, yes? no? Yes.
Here is the obvious question
the order of interfaces listed by ifconfig is
em0
fwe0
em1
the question is:
Is it possible that fwe is blocking em1?
I have fwe0 down and took it out of
rc.conf so it does not come up on boot
but still shows up in this order with ifconfig.
If this is possible, how do I tell the system to
load fwe0 after em1 or not at all  to see if I can ping it successfully?
copied from ifconfig output:
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
         inet 192.168.1.16 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
         ether 00:15:17:19:2c:89
         status: active
fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
         options=8<VLAN_MTU>
         ether 02:11:d8:bf:40:d4
         ch 1 dma -1
em1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
         inet 192.168.1.17 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
         ether 00:15:17:19:2a:b7
         media: Ethernet autoselect
         status: no carrier
ping results:
am2# ping -c 1 em1
ping: cannot resolve em1: Host name lookup failure
am2# ping -c 1 192.168.1.17
PING 192.168.1.17 (192.168.1.17): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.1.17 ping statistics ---
am2#
Any clues?
Jeff K (being necessarily philosophical at this point)
PS I say I edited rc.conf to make network changes
because I got the syntax correct for doing this. It
does work, not with commands, just variable/value assignments
JK