Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:11:23 +0900
From:      Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ADSL modem & ip addresses

Hi,

You need a single machine with two nics to setup as a firewall machine.
You should not require a second IP address. If you google for howtos on
setting up FreeBSD as a gateway machine/sharing cable/sharing adsl etc
etc you will find heaps of easy to follow articles. Furthermore, if your
provider will give you a choice then the hardware IMHO of choice is a
DSL bridge. Run PPPoE from the FreeBSD machine. FWIW I went from having
/29 to a single address and there was a little initial pain in getting
the NAT/routing setup appropriately but after pulling out lots of hair
it finally works.

Whilst on the subject, the kind of stress and overhead that PPPoE puts
on a FreeBSD machine is negligible. I have a fibre connection which at
times hits 70Mb and the machine ( a lazy PII 300 w 256Mb of RAM ) never
gets above 15% CPU usage. So any old machine you have lying around in
bits will probably do very nicely.

HTH

LukeK

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:29:08 +0930