Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 16:12:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, kimc@w8hd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> Why do you need more than one build box?  Is it because the snapshot
> from the tree is made on each download request instead of on a timed
> copy of the tree?

Yes, the unreliability of the Internet, if nothing else, virtually
guarantees that perfect syncronization is impossible.  By collecting
multiple votes, it's more possible to determine the last time at which
it's reasonable to assume the tree still worked.

> I think a more reasonable, one machine, version would be:
>
> 1)	wait some interval
> 2)	copy active cvs tree to static cvs tree
> 3)	test-build static cvs tree
> 4)	if test-build fails, go to 1
> 5)	copy successfully test-built static cvs tree to distribution
> 	cvs tree
> 6)	people download distribution cvs tree

That's assuming that you want to make one box both the build and the
central distribution server, and that machine definitely isn't
freefall.freebsd.org.  Finding a new central distribution server
would be too much perturberation.

						Jordan