Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:24:33 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

On 18 Jan 2001, at 0:04, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> It does appear that indeed the buildkernel target is broken with
> regards to building a kernel from the same sources as the running one
> without a populated /usr/obj.  I remember trying this in the past, and
> it worked.  I can now see your rationale for this thread and the
> handbook patch, however, I agree with Neil that buildkernel should be
> fixed, not the handbook.

Thank you.  Would someone please cancel PR docs/24148 ?

But, I do think that section of the manual needs to be modified slightly
to remove some confusion.  Namely, how it seems to suggest, at least
to some people, that you need to do a build world.  I'll do something
about that at a later date.

> The following patch sort of addresses the problem.  I can get
> buildkernel to finish without errors.  If you have time, please try it
> out.  It is proof-of-concept (that buildkernel can be fixed) quality
> at best (in other words, don't run this on your mission-critical
> machines), but it does seem to work (actually, I had to test it on a
> slightly newer tree than what I have running, so YMMV).

It worked on my box. Thanks.  I appreciate it.  Iff you have another fix in
the future, I'll be happy to test it again.

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/