Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:33:02 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) Insecurity/Misconfiguration

At 11:58 PM 9/28/99 -0400, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>[My last post on this. I promise.]

8-)

>Wow, backing up systems generates revenue. Amazing, I think I'm going
>to quit my job at work and just sit at home repeatedly backing up my
>HDD and watch the revenue roll in.

<snicker>

>Last time I looked at how accountants define 'revenue' it was simply
>gross income. Doing backups does not generate income. Sure, it can
>prevent some loss of income, and in some economic perspectives,
>avoiding a loss is just like making gain (a penny saved is a penny
>earned). But on the accountant's ledger, which is where 'revenue'
>has a real-life meaning, they are definately not the same. Backups
>cost money, they do not generate revenue.

The be serious, this is very much a grey area.

In the same light as using ssh to secure a remote back, say an ISP offers
telnet as well as ftp to a commericial web server.  Let's say that they are
included in the service.  One could argue that if no extra charge is made
for opting to SSH over telnet, then no revenue is generated for that
service, per se.

>To use an analogy that you brought up in another post, doing backups
>is like buying insurance... and I don't see how anyone can argue that
>paying for insurance is a revenue generating activity. It is a
>cost. It is a cost that reduces risk of incuring losses, but it is a
>cost.

Every server I build has SSH, but that is for my use.  My logic dictates
that since I am connecting to their server and they are paying me at such
times, then it most certainly isn't a "revenue generating" use.  Just the
opposite in fact.

Should they make use of it internally it is suggested that they purchase a
license.  If their clients use it, then it becomes more of a would be a
good idea and in a way provides them insurance or in cases where they have
a legal department a bit of extra work.

Last comment in on the difference between the English and Finnish legal
docs.  Is there a difference?  If you don't speak the language....

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve
'86 Yamaha MaxiumX (not FBSD powered)