Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:03:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Robert H. Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading the kernel

Robert H. Perry wrote to FreeBSD-Questions:

> I'm upgrading from 4.7 RELEASE to 4.8 RELEASE soon.  My understanding
> is that once you have built the world with buildworld, it's time to
> build and install the new kernel.

In your scenario, yes, you'll definitely want to build a new kernel. In
fact, I hope you elected to go with the security branch (RELENG_4_8), so
that you get the 13 or so security related fixes that have been applied
since 4.8 was released.

> My current kernel is customized with a sound card device and nothing
> else.

That's fine; you can continue to use your kernel config.
(/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/WHATEVERYOUCALLEDYOURKERNELCONFIG)

> The  FreeBSD Handbook indicates that the safest way to do this is to
> build and install a kernel based on GENERIC.  After booting from
> GENERIC and verifying that your system works you can then customize
> your kernel.

Well, you can if you want, but you won't have any issues from 4.7 ->
4.8. I'd just go with your custom kernel config.

> Can I use the commands, # make buildkernel and # make installkernel,
> or are #make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC and # make installkernel
> KERNCONF=GENERIC the correct commands?

Have you specified KERNCONF in /etc/make.conf? If not, then it defaults
to GENERIC. In your case, though, again, you shouldn't have any problems
building from your custom conf.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon