Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:47:15 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        conrad@rockenhaus.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, tor-relays@lists.torproject.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Solution Comparable to VyOS (BGP IPv4+6 FW) in Tor Intensive Environments

On 10/11/18, Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad@rockenhaus.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I=E2=80=99m researching for a new colo, and in order to bring it online u=
ntil I can
> consolidate some hardware, I would like to temporarily run a VyOS Router =
as
> the main router so I can start getting things online sooner than later. T=
his
> VyOS Router will be running BGP with the upstream providers, IPv4, and IP=
v6,
> and basic filtering to protect the router and other essential hardware.
>
> I=E2=80=99ve seen VyOS perform quite wonderfully on 4-6 gbps links with t=
raffic
> coming primarily from a CDN. My question is does anyone here have any
> experience running VyOS with that much traffic with that traffic primaril=
> consisting of Tor traffic? Are there any other suggestions for a basic
> non-hardware router based solution as a temporary implementation, perhaps
> even using FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks, Conrad

FreeBSD can work fine in this application and would be a natural
and complementary tool to your efforts in supporting relay diversity
towards more BSD (FreeBSD) nodes. Further, Linux's older iptables,
even its current nftables, will seem very different compared to the
FreeBSD IPFW or PF with which you are surely familiar.

You'll probably find more answers as to some BGP, packet filter,
and hardware solutions for this on the freebsd-net mailing list above.

And or on freebsd-questions , freebsd-isp , freebsd-ipfw , freebsd-pf , ...
https://forums.freebsd.org/

See also (note: wikipedia often outdated / trivial)...

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_routing_platforms
 Mentioned but not yet linked in above list...
  https://frrouting.org/

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

https://forum.opnsense.org/index.php?topic=3D3534
 Includes some bits from HardenedBSD, its onions are below...
  http://dxsj6ifxytlgq33k.onion/
  http://3jkjhrvkdbdkqisnwhdpe4afh2j2g3suhsfcewiemsyk5ecd6gadmxyd.onion/

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_firewalls