Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:15:02 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Doug Hass <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        void <float@firedrake.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, MurrayTaylor <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI

Let me cut through all this with a bit of experience if you permit:

1. BSD licensed sources are undoubtedly always preferred.

2. Other open-source licences are the best alternative.

3. closed source solutions are always risky because you don't know
   if the company will be willing to, or even around to, update the
   driver for future versions of the OS.

One way to moderate #3 is to do as we did with the DiskOnChip driver
for M-systems flash-disks:  They gave a copy under NDA to an open
source developer (me) who then produces an object only driver.  That
way at least one person will be able to produce new versions of the
driver if the company goes titsup.com or gets bought by M$ or
whatever...

Over and out...