Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 00:42:57 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mattias_Bj=F6rk?= <mattias.bjork@sydnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with qmail and connecting to smtp daemon and problem with my virtual domain.

Hi, list(ners)

Problem nr 1.

I have read the following guide to install qmail:

http://www.stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/cat_qmailhowto.php

I have not installed from source by my self, I found that all programs
where avalible thru ports. I will make this as sort as possible, I set
up vpopmail with domain "setiathome.birch.se". The domain is "birch.se",
fqdn is "setiathome.birch.se" for the host. I didn't how ever install
everything. I didn't install ezmlm-idx and auotrespond, but its not
vital for the operation of the mail-server at this time.

I had this problem, that i couldn't send message to the FreeBSD
mailinglists, but I solved it by adding my ISP outgoing smtpserver to
/var/qmail/control/smtproutes. Perhaps it hade something to do with
reversed DNS.

Here are my directory listing from /var/qmail/control/:

defaultdomain           plusdomain              smtproutes
locals                  rcpthosts               virtualdomains
locals.lock             rcpthosts.lock          virtualdomains.lock
me                      servercert.pem

In the file defaultdomain and plusdomain are the string entry
"birch.se". In the me file there are the hostname of the mail server.
And finaly in the "virtualdomains" file are the string:
"setiathome.birch.se:setiathome.birch.se"

My problems is that I can connect to port 25. The problem is that
nothing happens, look below:

thrawn/usr/home/thrawn/tmp% telnet setiathome.birch.se 25
Trying 192.168.10.10...
Connected to setiathome.birch.se.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
thrawn/usr/home/thrawn/tmp%

I don't even press a button before Im in the console again. I run the
sockstat command on my server and I get the following output:

setiathome/var/qmail/control# sockstat  | grep :25
qmaild   tcpserve 66645    3 tcp4   *:25                  *:*

setiathome/var/qmail/control#

And the output of "netstat -nl -f inet -p tcp | grep 25" does not show
anything how ever.

How ever, in the first chapter of the guide. It says the following at
"1.6 courier-imap Hack" :

"Because the SMTP after IMAP4(s)/POP3(s) of courier-imap does not work,
here is a small wrapper. This "hack" tracks the IP of the authenticating
user and allows for SMTP sending (i.e. a form of authenticated SMTP relay)."

Perhaps that have something to do with that it doesn't work.

Problem nr 2.

The other problem is that I have a user named "thrawn" that is a local
user on the system.
The home directory of the user is "/usr/home/thrawn".
And the the Maildir diretory is "/usr/home/thrawn/Maildir". When I
connect to my mail via imapd-ssl, It uses the local user Maildir.

But I have a domain for vpopmail at the following directory
"/usr/local/vpopmail/domains/setiathome.birch.se"

And there I also have a user named "thrawn" and with the same password
as the local "thrawn" account. If I understand it correctly for some
reason courier-imap doesn't use my virtual domain, but it does use the
local user. Im sure that it might be me that I have done something wrong
or the documentation is not completly correct.

Perhaps I should use another domain name and se if it works then, I
haven't tested that yet. I think that it should work anyway, but I might
  be wrong.

I hope that this information is of some use and I haven't forgotten to
mutch information.

Thanks Mattias Björk