Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aliasing commands

Hi,
I am also running ksh and am having trouble aliasing in my
.profile file.

the command is :
alias ll='ls -l'

when i execute the .profile file with . /.profile, it
works. If i exit the terminal and restart another shell i
get the error when i execute the alias ll

/bin/ksh: ll: not found

Could this be a PATH issue?
I cannot seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
radhika.
--- Benjamin Hyatt <benski@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 05 Sep 2001 08:49:58 -0500, Joel Gudknecht wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Which file / location is proper to alias commands? Or
> is this shell dependant?
>
> It is dependant on shell...
>
> In my example here I am using ksh.
> In my home directory I have a .profile
>
> let's say for example I want an alias for rm, so that
> it will request confirmation before deleting ;o)
>
> alias rm='rm -i'
>
> . ./.profile
>
> rm foo
> remove foo?
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> ./Ben

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the
message

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall