Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tip to improve print resolution w/ HP DeskJet 600 (update!)

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:

> > On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> [this is in reference to using the ljet4 driver for ghostscript with the
> HP Deskjet 600 -- bko]
>
> > > 	I just gave this a try on my HP DeskJet 855c, it does print a lot
> > > better in Black & White but too bad color doesn't work.....  Wonder when
> > > will Ghostscript start supporting the 600 and 800 series printers...
> [...]
>
> An update on drivers for the HP DeskJet 600 and friends with Ghostscript:
>
> Unfortunately, the ljet4 driver has a rather annoying problem with
> alignment with the DeskJet 600.  However, there is another driver which
> works:  the lj4dith driver, part of the cdj (color deskjet) drivers.
> Unfortunately, it's a gray-scale driver -- still no color.

	Hmmmm, wonder when a color driver will become available?

> There are two difficulties with this arrangement:
>
> 1.  The alignment problem still exists, but it can be fixed.  In the file
> "gdevcdj.c", look for a line which reads:
>
> #define LJET4_MARGINS                 0.26, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
>
> comment it out and replace it with
>
> #define LJET4_MARGINS            0.125, 0.50, 0.125, 0.007

	Is this due to the margins on a DJ is different than a LJ?

> 2.  Unfortunately, the cdj driver is NOT one of the default drivers
> installed with ghostscript, and it was hard for me to get it enabled.  I
> rewrote part of the port to make it easier to recompile the port version
> to do it -- essentially, you need to edit the configure script in the
> scripts version.  Here's the diff between the two versions (this is for
> the gs3.53 port):

[snip]

	Hmmm, seems gs4.0 and even a newer port is out already...

> This changed configure explicitly adds the lj4dith driver, and allows
> easier addition of more drivers (edit gcc-head.mak , run the script
> tar_cat from the ghostscript distribution).
>
> Now, the lj4dith driver should run with the deskjet 600.
>
> FOR YOU COLOR PEOPLE
>
> I have also heard that the paintjet driver works, but is deadly slow.
> However, if you need color, this may be enough to get you it (I don't know
> -- I don't have color carts for my DJ600, and I'm satisfied with good
> black and white printing, which the dj4dith provides).

	Hmmm, I think the DJ600/800 series each needs their own drivers
since even 560c drivers won't work with the newer models... Only the 550c
drivers would...

> For more information about ghostscript, consult the ghostscript home page,
> at

	Hmmm, will look there...

Vince