Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:42:37 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com>
Cc:        scottl@samsco.org, mav@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, ivoras@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing MAXPHYS

In message <3c0b01821003221207p4e4eecabqb4f448813bf5a8a8@mail.gmail.com>, Alexa
nder Sack writes:

>Am I going crazy or does this sound a lot like Sun/SVR's stream based
>network stack?

That is a good and pertinent observation.

I did investigate a number of optimizations to the g_up/g_down scheme
I eventually adopted, but found none that gained anything justifying
the complexity they brought.

In some cases, the optimizations used more CPU cycles than the straight
g_up/g_down path, but obviously, the circumstances are vastly different
with CPUs having 10 times higher clock, multiple cores and SSD disks,
so a fresh look at this tradeoff is in order.