Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:29:00 +0200
From:      John Oxley <john.oxley@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, Me <oxo@rucus.net>
Subject:   Disk quotas

The Scenario:

I am running a multiuser FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE box for ~500 users.  We
have enforced disk quotas on /home and /tmp of 250MB soft and 256MB
hard

The Problem:

One user has inadvertently snaked around this. (btw I like users who
tell you when they have found a problem that works in their favour)
We're running Apache 1 with mod_php, mod_ssl etc etc etc.  This user
has gallery setup on his webpage and the albums directory is chmod
707'd so that httpd can write to it.

The problem is that httpd creates files as http:group and quota is not
picking up that he is using more disk space than we want him to.

The Question:

Can quota be told that all files in ~luser belong to luser as well as
all files owned by luser.

If not, where would the appropriate place for hacking be, the kernel
or usr.bin/*quota*

-Ox