Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:19:20 -0600
From:      "Jason Prosser" <jprosser@teraglobal.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Certification

Commenting from a newbie side...

I have tried several certifications and dropped out long before I got them,
because I didn't learn anything. (Yes I wouldn't mind all the pretty letters
after my name, making me more marketable... )

I would like to suggest that there are several levels of certification. (Or
area's of study.)

Basic -     How to get around in the system..
            How to run programs, and Install packages.
            (Standard configuration would fall under this too.)
Intermediate- Advanced configurations for networking ...
            Specialization configurations
            Trouble shooting
Advanced -  ? (Don't know enough to suggest here...)

I like the question that was suggested though... Not only do I have to know
what is going on, but it's real world.

Yes I have a copy of the handbook, Ted's book, using the man pages, and
getting vary familiar with the web pages available... (And I still have
problems finding the information that I need, once I can figure out the
questions to ask... )

Just my .02

JP