Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:55:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ed: device broken!? (was Re: ed1: device timeout?)

On 17-Jun-98 Matthew Hagerty wrote about "ed: device broken!? (was Re: ed1:
device timeout?)":
> 2.2.6-R?  I have a PCI NIC that was giving me a ed1: timeout error.  I have

I cannot help you with your PCI NIC...

>    But here is the clincher...  I took out the PCI NIC and put in a real
> Novell/Eagle NE2000 ISA NIC.  It is jumper-less so I used the DOS utility
> that came with the card to set the IRQ and base address.  Then I booted

...but I had a similar problem with a PnP ISA NIC: I installed it and forgot to
attach the cable (RG58, 10BASE-2), and the kernel yelled loudly "ed0: device
timeout".

I suspect that you have automatic media sensing on your card(s) and the
selected media is the wrong one. I would try to force to 10BASE-T (I seem to
remember you were speaking about a class 5 cable, so I assume you're working in
TP-mode) using your DOS disk and reboot.

Hope this helps you! Good luck!

> Matthew

Bye, UP