Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:09:57 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Eivind E <eivinde@terraplane.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 8.1 + xorg + radeonhd hang

--61jdw2sOBCFtR2d/

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:04:16AM +0200, Eivind E wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Roland Smith wrote:
<snip>
> >> Did you try the normal radeon driver (not radeonhd)?
> >> It supports the RV515 chip used by the X1550, too.
> >
> > Keep in mind that normal radeon driver is called x11-drivers/xf86-video=
-ati
> > now.
> >
> > If you load the drm.ko and radeon.ko (and maybe agp.ko) kernel models w=
ith
> > this driver, you'll have accellerated 3D as well as 2D (both XAA and th=
e newer
> > EXA). Works like a charm on my Radeon X 1650 Pro, and should work with =
your
> > card as well.
>=20
> Tried to substitute the driver with ati and loading radeon.ko (which
> automatically loaded drm.ko) and had the same results as the plain
> radeon driver. X starts up once in a while, but the screen goes
> to about half of normal brightness and the view is moved down and to the
> right.

Do you have a modeline in your xorg.conf? If so, try taking it out. Or try
running 'X -configure' from the console to generate a new basic
xorg.conf. Some monitors come with a button or control to automatically tune
them to the video source. If you have that it might help as well. If not, t=
ry
x11/xvidtune.

Roland
--=20