Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 15:29:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   make kernel and build world fail on 4.3-RC

Greetings:

I have FreeBSD 4.3-RC running on three machines. I have been using the
Makefile listed on www.freebsddiary.org with consistent success up until
now. Compiling on the fast machine and installing on the slow machines
has worked very well.

I tried to re-build the kernel for one of them and make depend failed
giving me compile errors complaining about unterminated strings, and
missing white spaces in pre-processor #define statements. I looked at the
source code and there was a recurring problem caused by /* nested /*
comments */ */.

I updated the source tree with CVSup with no errors and tried a build
world, and got the same sort of thing again:

atmarpd/atmarp_subr.c /usr/src/usr.sbin/atm/atmarpd/atmarp_timer.c
/usr/src/usr.sbin/atm/atmarpd/atmarp_log.c:48: `#include' expects
"FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
/usr/src/usr.sbin/atm/atmarpd/atmarp_subr.c:857: unterminated string or
character constant
/usr/src/usr.sbin/atm/atmarpd/atmarp_subr.c:772: possible real start of
unterminated constant
/usr/src/usr.sbin/atm/atmarpd/atmarp_subr.c:535: unterminated `#if'
conditional
mkdep: compile failed

I looked at the source again, and lines of code that should be comments
are beginning with * instead of /* that sort of thing. The code I looked
at had a three-year-old copyright.

I could go and fix all of these errors by hand as they occur, and try
again, but I suspect that there is some sort of error in some sort of
script that compresses and uncompresses source code.

Any idea what I should try next. I will be grateful for any sugguestions.

Ken Seggerman
suleyman@echonyc.com