Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:59:31 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp slow to connect

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:56:41PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:14:53PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
>
> > seem to remember someone saying that it had to do with
> > reverse DNS lookups and waiting for them to timeout, but
> > I don't remember the solution.
>
> Fix the reverse DNS records for the client :-)

I don't know if I can.  This is for a friend of mine who has a
hosting company for a little over 600 domains now.  He was previously
using Linux and we just moved all of his stuff over to a handful
of FreeBSD boxes on a much fatter pipe.  A bunch of the customers
are now complaining about the slow connection times with ftp on
the FreeBSD boxes.  Trying to fix the reverse DNS lookups for all
of these clients would be a very daunting task.  I wonder if there
is a way to disable this behavior?  Otherwise I might be stuck
installing ProFTPD on these FreeBSD boxes and calling it a day. :(

-steve