Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:49:19 -0500
From:      William Gordon Rutherdale <will.rutherdale@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot get ethernet off the ground

Hi.

I have just installed FreeBSD on a machine and am having trouble getting
basic ethernet connectivity working.

I know that the interface works because it functioned fine with the old
virus software called 'Vista' on that connection.

The ifconfig utility tells me that the machine recognises something
called fwe0 with an ethernet address of 02:1e:8c:9a:3b:96.  However
dmesg tells me this is a 'Fake Ethernet' address.

I used ifconfig (as root) to set the ip address and netmask for fwe0,
but am unable to ping another machine on the network.  I have not tried
installing FreeBSD before but have installed other operating systems in
the past including various versions of Linux.

Is it possible that FreeBSD is not recognising the ethernet device
properly at boot time, and giving it the wrong driver?  Or is there a
simpler step I missed?

What steps can I take to get this interface working?

-Will