Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:50:53 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if-simple filter won't work with printer

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote on 04/17/2002 05:17:37 PM:

> At 2:58 PM -0700 4/17/02, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> >Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote on 04/17/2002 01:53:39 PM:
> >>  try something like:
> >>
> >>  echo "test" | /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
> >>
> >>  and see what happens.  'cat /etc/printcap', and copy the
> >>  exact name of the filter as found in the if entry of the
> >>  print queue -- I don't know how much time I've wasted due
> >>  to some letter being the digit '1' when I thought it was
> >>  a lowercase L or uppercase i.  See what errors you get.
> >>
> >>  --
> >>  Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
> >
> >I ran that command, as root and as user, and it responds
> >with test at stdout, as expected. And of course no errors
> >written to the lpd-errs file. I then re-ran the lptest
> >command and it does give the error mentioned above. As for
> >the filter name - it is the same, exactly, in the printcap.
> >---------
> >hp|lp|952C|HP952C:\
> >:sh:\
> >:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
> >:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
> >:if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:
> >----------
> >The more I mess with this and get nowhere the more
> >frustrated I get.
>
> I can appreciate that lpd can be mighty frustrating in some
> situations.  But when trying to help you remotely via email,
> it's even harder to come up with good ways to figure out a
> problem like this.

I apologize for the negativity. Just one of those days living
with a network of all NT boxes and the 2 freebsd boxes I set up.
I appreciate any help you can provide.

> Is it true that your real /etc/printcap file does not have
> any blanks before the ':' characters?  Is the above your
> entire printcap file?

The freebsd box can't send mail to this list, I have to use Lotus Notes.
So I copied the printcap from fbsd to NT then copied/pasted from wordpad
into this message, but the cr/lf don't come across properly.
The original printcap has a tab before the lines starting with the ":"
character. I changed that to 4 spaces, but it still does not work, gives
the same error message.
the printcap file (now) -
----
hp|lp|952C|HP952C:\
    :sh:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:
----------
The errors again -
------
Apr 18 09:27:51 cwiegand2 lpd[13771]:
cannot execv /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
Apr 18 09:27:51 cwiegand2 lpd[13770]: hp:
job could not be printed (cfA023cwiegand2)
--------
the if-simple has these permissions -
-r-xr-xr-x
The if-simple file with the comments removed -
-----
#!/bin/sh
    /bin/cat && exit 0
    exit 2
------
That's also 4 spaces in front of the second and third lines.
I tried apsfilter, used it to add a new queue to the existing
printcap, so now this is the printcap -
-----
hp|lp|952C|HP952C:\
    :sh:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:

#       @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/printcap,v 1.10.2.1 2001/03/06 02:04:52 obrien Exp $
# APS1_BEGIN:printer1
# - don't delete start label for apsfilter printer1
# - no other printer defines between BEGIN and END LABEL
952|hpdj/unspec;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
    :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/952:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/952/log:\
    :af=/var/spool/lpd/952/acct:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:
# APS1_END - don't delete this
---------
When I print to the printer 952 I get the following in the log -
------
apsfilter warning: unknown option 'cwiegand2'
apsfilter: unsupported file type 'assembler source'
apsfilter: If you think you can help us to support files of this type,
apsfilter: please contact us on <apsfilter-hackers@apsfilter.org>.
------
That is, I think, just a apsfilter problem. I cannot print the lptest
command to the 952 queue.

Hopefully this new info will help somehow.

--
Chip