Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:02:50 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
Subject:   Re: Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

From: Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:33:07 +0200

nox> > For the modules with serial interfaces(most modern ones like Roland SC-88 have):
nox> >
nox> > 		     38.4kbps
nox> > 	PC ----------------------------- Midi Module
nox> > 	    Serial Cable for the Module
nox> >
nox> > I got to play sequences successfully under the situation shown above.
nox> > I used SC-88, with a 'computer port'. It accepts the bitrates of both 31.25kbps
nox> > and 38.4kbps, transforming the signal internally. You can plug some other
nox> > midi modules and instruments to the module connected to the PC. In this case
nox> > the module also acts as a midi interface.
nox>
nox>  Has anyone tried things like sending a big sysex dump to something
nox> connected there?

I tried sending sysex messages to display some frames of picture on the LCD of SC-88.
One frame takes 64 bytes. I sent sysex at around 6-8 frames/sec for 10 seconds.
I had no latency to recognize, as I experienced on sbmidi.

I have not tried bulk dumps yet. It takes about 20 secs for an SC-88 to dump the every
single parameter, more than 60KB!

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ