Date:      Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:24:39 -0600
From:      "Bill McMilleon" <billmcmilleon@insightbb.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   can't open /dev/ad7s1e: Device not configured

I am not a FreeBSD expert by any means, but I amd getting this
unfortunate error with a Maxtor 160g ATA/133 drive I have hooked
up to a Promise Ultra 133 controller.  The system was fine and
ran on FreeBSD 4.6.2 RELEASE, and I tried moving the controller and
drive over to another box after installing 4.7 RELEASE on it.

I did nothing to the drive through software.

I could not "see" the drive on the 4.7 system.

I moved it back to the 4.6.2 box and this is the error I'm getting
and I'm dumped into the single-user shell.

Can anyone help me recover?  This is a full drive with some very
precious contents.

Thanks,
Bill McMilleon
bill@mcmilleon.com