Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:10:44 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TSIG with BIND requires chmod+chgrp /etc/namedb

It appears that using TSIG with BIND for secondary domains requires a
chmod and chgrp of /etc/namedb.

I've been adding TSIG to varioius domains.  But I've found that on my
slave servers, I've had to set the directory permissions as this:

$ ls -ld /etc/namedb/
drwxrwxr-x  4 root  bind  512 Oct 15 09:26 /etc/namedb/
$ ls -ld /etc/namedb/secondary/
drwxr-x---  2 bind  bind  512 Oct 15 09:25 /etc/namedb/secondary/

The original permissions on /etc/namedb are:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Mar  9  2002 /etc/namedb

named is running as:  /usr/sbin/named -u bind -g bind

Some bits from /etc/namedb/named.conf:

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";

I don't really liked having to change the permission of /etc/namedb
especially as that will be necessary for people runnning secondary
DNS for me.

Any comments/suggestions?
--
Dan Langille