Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:47:33 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        fbsdq <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: motherboard fbsd 5.x

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 03:17:01PM +0200, dick hoogendijk wrote:
<snip>=20
> From what I understand there are still some problems with AMD64
> boards. Still, 64bits is the future.. so is it better to wait a while,
> _or_ are there *good* supported motherboards for amd64?

Avoid boards with NForce chipsets. My MSI NEO FSR mobo with
K8T800 chipset (MS-6702) works like a charm.

> Maybe it's better to stay with Intel and FreeBSD?

I've had no problems with amd64 since 5.3-RELEASE.

> And about harddisks: is it true that fbsd support for ATA harddisks is
> better / more robust than for SATA drives?

Not AFAICT. My aforementioned mobo has a VIA SATA controller:

atapci0@pci0:15:0: class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x70201462 chip=3D0x31491106
rev=3D0x80 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   =3D 'VT8237  VT6410 SATA RAID Controller'
    class    =3D mass storage
    subclass =3D RAID

It works fine with my WD harddisk:

Master:  ad4 <WDC WD1200JD-00GBB0/02.05D02> Serial ATA v1.0

> I need some *concrete* advice. The rest of the hardware will be a
> lesser problem.

HTH,

Roland
--=20