Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 02:09:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>
To:        achilov@granch.ru
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traceroute and UDP port 33434

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:

> I have encountered a strange problem - when I deny UDP port 33434,
> traceroute refuses to trace...Can the traceroute use the UDP port 33434?

The default unix traceroute uses UDP probes destined to supposidly
"unused" ports. This probe starts at 33434 (32768+666 :P) and increments
once with each probe. The default behavior is 3 probes per hop (per TTL
increment), with a maximium of 30 hops, which means the standard unix
traceroute will target UDP ports 33434-33524. The traceroute program knows
there is another hop when it receives a TTL Exceed, and knows it has
reached the end of the trace when it receives a Dest Unreachable for those
ports. If something is listening on those ports, the traceroute will fail.

With FreeBSD traceroute, the parameter you're looking for to change this
default base is "-p <port>". HTH

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble