Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:03:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using 3 x znyx314 cards for 12 de ethernets

> static int	icmpbmcastecho = 1;
> SYSCTL_INT(_net_inet_icmp, OID_AUTO, bmcastecho, CTLFLAG_RW, &icmpbmcastecho,
> 	   0, "");
>
> I believe it should be turned *off* by default, and hope this is fixed
> before 3.0 is released.

Being off by default would break SLP and IPv6 autodetection for
address assignment.

Certainly, you should be able to turn it off, but the correct place
to block DOS broadcast ping attacks is your firewall.

Windows 95 also has this assinine behaviour, such that you can't probe
a net to see if an address is free, or intermittently to take
"snapshots" of active and inactive machines, etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.