Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:34:56 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Janet Sullivan <ciscogeek@cox.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA corruption in DMA mode

Le Wednesday 08 January 2003 15:15, Mike Tancsa a écrit :
> Can you boot with a 4.6 kernel now and test it again to confirm the problem
> really does go away ?
>
>          ---Mike
>
> At 07:05 AM 08/01/2003 -0700, Janet Sullivan wrote:
> >P.S.  I've seen absolutely no ata error messages (command timeout,
> >etc.).
> >
> >Janet Sullivan wrote:
> > > If I copy large (500 meg) files between directories with DMA on, the
> > > copy becomes corrupt.  If I turn DMA off and use PIO mode, the copy is
[SNIP]

The DMA may be more aggressive in its memory timings

It took me some time to find out why disk copies of large files (typically
CD-ROM ISO image files) went corrupt : I had two semi-broken SDRAM SIMMs.

I could single out which SIMMs were bad with the "canonical" memory test : a
string of "make buildworld", with different combinations of SIMMs (I even had
to try : does this SIMM work when alone one a motherboard ?)

	HtH

	TfH

PS : obviously, a broken SIMM should be broken for any release of FreeBSD