Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 20:04:45 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        hackers@hub.freebsd.org

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Sep 8:
> > personally... I think that it isn't bad any more... considering how easy
> > it is to fix, (I posted the fix a couple days ago) I'm actually heading
> > twards the end that forces it to resolve... :)
>
> This neglects the case of a machine acting as the domain for which it
> is a member in order to send mail.

oh, your talking about if the machine is somehost.domain.com, and that
it users recieve their mail at username@domain.com??  well. then it's
your job as an admin to fix those machines to properly identify itself...

> It also neglects the point of browsers on PCs that you yourself raised
> earlier: Eudora, IEx.x, and NetScape all can send mail without a valid
> return address.  As can "cyberbomber", etc..  Consider someone like
> that, who nevertheless subscribes to the list with a valid return address.

umm...  can you refer to me the message that I brought about about how
browsers can send fine?  (mesg-id will do nicely, I archive all out
going mail)...

yes.. but that's because those programs do the masquerading for you..
I believe they take your from address and just present it in the "mail
from:" part...  nothing says that the return-path has to include the
local machine...  by default sendmail doesn't masquerade or read your
mail to grab the reply-to to preset a valid mail from:...  it just
assumes that the machine addressing the envelope knows what it's doing..
and if you tell sendmail to rewrite addresses.. it will happily whiteout
your invalid info.. and replace it with valid info (that you tell it)..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD