Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:18:21 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1 & 6.2 hanging and/or spontaneous rebooting

On Jan 26, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Joe Vender wrote:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 17:41, Tore Lund wrote:
>>
>> You issue the command "shutdown -p now".  This should work with
>> any BIOS
>> that has apm or acpi, as far as I know.
>
> I've tried that, but it didn't power off, just got to the halted
> step. What
> about issuing the "Shutdown computer" from KDE logout? Shouldn't it
> power off
> the computer?

The GUI commands within KDE are going to invoke the command-line
shutdown command with the appropriate arguments.  What may be going
on is that your old hardware only supports the older form of power
management/shutdown mechanism, called APM, rather than the newer
APCI.  You might find that reading "man 4 apm" and "man acpi" will
give you some hints on debugging the issue.  It might help to try
updating your machines BIOS, or to recompile a kernel with ACPI
disabled but the older APM enabled, and see whether that gets you
somewhere.

The fact that you can shutdown within Linux suggests that your
hardware does have the capability, so it's just a matter of figuring
out what's different.  Note that you might find that trying to run
FreeBSD 4.11 to be informative, as the defaults for that older
version might correspond with your hardware better, although, 4.11 is
at the end of it's supported lifespan...

--
-Chuck