Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:00:18 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org, ken@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org, mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MFC approval for camcontrol/pccard change

As Murray Stokely wrote:

[Patches to make aic-based pccards work during a 4.x installation.]

>   Ok, so you don't need to make any sysinstall changes for all of this
> to work?  I'm interested in seeing the results of your "make release".
> Perhaps you could post boot floppies somewhere and ask users on -qa or
> -mobile to test them?  We can't wait a week on this, as that is when I
> will be uploading some large ISOs to the FTP sites.  I would really
> want this in -STABLE before Monday if it is going into 4.5.

OK, i finally found a machine that could get a "make release" halfways
through.  It still fell over when making the documentation since the
distfile for links-0.96 failed checksum mismatch. :( (Also, something
i've seen consistently failing only within a "make release" on both
-stable and -current is ports/graphics/tiff not linking their binaries
against -lm.  I'll investigate that a bit more, and clarify with
sobomax directly.)  So in the end, i'm afraid the size of my generated
floppies isn't fully represantative due to some text files missing on
it.  So in addition to preparing the floppies, i've compared the
mfsroot sizes against the one from 4.5-RC3:

4.5-RC3:

uriah # ls -l /mnt/stand/boot_crunch
-r-xr-xr-x  32 root  wheel  - 1900676 Jan 18 06:55 /mnt/stand/boot_crunch*
uriah # df  -ki /mnt
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md0         2803     2123      652    77%      73     309    19%   /mnt

My version that includes the minimalistic camcontrol:

uriah # ls -l /mnt/stand/boot_crunch
-r-xr-xr-x  33 root  wheel  - 1913568 Jan 20 23:44 /mnt/stand/boot_crunch*
uriah # df -ki /mnt
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md0         4219     2084     2093    50%      74     500    13%   /mnt

If anyone wants to test, the images are at

http://people.freebsd.org/~joerg/kern.flp
http://people.freebsd.org/~joerg/mfsroot.flp

I've just tested all on an old Thinkpad 755 plus Adaptec PCMCIA card,
and i could install that one off an attached CD-ROM.