Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:50:10 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question

--------------enigA492E8655CF2922F7B62190B

If memory serves me right, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello doc,
>=20
>   I would like to make the
>   "../../../../doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/policies.h=
tml"
>   found in fourth rule of
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/=
rules.html
>   to look like http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/.... Any objections?

+1 on this change.  I think this would be a good thing.  You probably
know there are some SGML entities to help out with this.

>   Also, I have a question regarding to this sentence (5th rule):
>=20
>   "If the change turns out to be the best thing after all, it can be
>   easily brought back. If it turns out not to be, then the users did
>   not have to live with the bogus change in the tree while everyone
>   was busily debating its merits. People very very rarely call for
>                                          ^^--
>   back-outs in the repository since discussion generally exposes bad
>   or controversial changes before the commit even happens, but on such
>   rare occasions the back-out should be done without argument so that
>   we can get immediately on to the topic of figuring out whether it was=

>   bogus or not."
>=20
>   I'm not sure about the double "very" there. What do you think? If
>   this is intentional, shouldn't be there at least comma between
>   them?

The double "very" is used to indicate emphasis.  I presume it's
intentional, since I've seen it used in other places, although I tend
not to use it in my own writing.  I guess I prefer to emphasize using
means other than repeating words (unless I'm being sarcastic or silly).
 Not sure how it should be punctuated.

Cheers,

Bruce.