Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:19:42 -0700
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [maybe spam] Re: FreeBSD 1.x Binaries Work Except under Chroot

On 08/15/12 11:54, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message<CAJ-Vmo=yzCz_jDhTVQ3kyHgxDnUTvzqZPp+sDSz+ZWe7cYmpJQ@mail.gmail.com>
> , Adrian Chadd writes:
>> Holy. Crap. 17 seconds?
>>
>> Can we please go back to having it take this long? please?
> 386BSD was even better, and I have a machine that boots it in less
> than 15 seconds from power-on...

A Sun 3-50 with a 15.7MHz 68020 and 4MB running diskless was about the
same booting. And when you opened mailtool, you were reading the latest
in less than a second. In exchange for having a graphic that can resize
itself to be readable, supposedly, from a 4 line LED screen to a wall
TV, you have mail user agents that will let you read mail in a couple of
seconds, but only after 30 seconds of filling 100MB of memory with
cached pages.

Hmm. Progress!