Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:49:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ben Eisenbraun <bpeisenbraun@yahoo.com>
To:        "R.P. Aditya" <aditya@grot.org>
Cc:        <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file location moved...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, R.P. Aditya wrote:

<snip pointer to moved doc>

> to turn on softupdates on a filesystem. No doubt, one FAQ will be how to turn
> it on the root filesystem...(I can't think of a better way than to boot with a
> floppy and turn it on)

--in single user mode

# mount
/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, read-only)
# tunefs -n enable /
tunefs: soft updates set
tunefs: file system reloaded
# mount -u /
# mount
/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, read-only, soft-updates)

I'm not sure that this is technically correct, but it has worked for me on
multiple machines without any apparent problems.

-ben