Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:36:48 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to determine version of SSH

I've seen a little confusion on this.  Here's why:

#sshd -v
sshd: illegal option -- v
sshd version OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20020307
Usage: sshd [options]
  -f file    Configuration file (default /etc/ssh/sshd_config)
  -d         Debugging mode (multiple -d means more debugging)
  -i         Started from inetd
  -D         Do not fork into daemon mode
  -q         Quiet (no logging)
  -p port    Listen on the specified port (default: 22)
  -k seconds Regenerate server key every this many seconds (default: 3600)
  -g seconds Grace period for authentication (default: 600)
  -b bits    Size of server RSA key (default: 768 bits)
  -h file    File from which to read host key (default:
/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key)
  -u len     Maximum hostname length for utmp recording
  -4         Use IPv4 only
  -6         Use IPv6 only

As you can see, you do get a version number.  I
wonder why they didn't follow the convention and
write in a "-v" option.

HTH,
KDK