Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:56:10 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MODEM & THE COMPLETE FREEBSD

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> Someone asked me how one determines whether or not one has a winmodem.
> (Macs sometimes have the equivalent of winmodems also.)  Of course
> they don't work, but the user doesn't know for sure whether it's
> because it's a winmodem or because ppp or whatever is not properly
> set up--and thus doesn't know whether or not to give up.

It's getting harder and harder to know. But there are a few of rules of
thumb:

1) If the modem box says it will work with DOS, then it is a component
modem. Since few people use DOS anymore, it is becoming rare to see
this. Note that there are a few "linmodems" out there, which are
winmodems with Linux software. So it's still risky to trust even a modem
that says "Linux".

2) Since winmodems need software, check with the manufacturer for
software updates or fixes. If there are, then it is a winmodem. If you
have the floppy/cd that comes with the modem, see if it actually has
software in it, or merely configuration settings for Windows. If it is
just configuration settings, then it is a component modem.

3) If you have an external modem, then you are safe. If you are shopping
for a modem, then get an external for the extra $40. It's well worth it,
even for Windows users.

> I also know of no question I can ask a sales person that they have a
> chance of answering to determine whether the modem in a laptop is a
> "winmodem."

If you ask a knowledgable salesperson they would know. Unfortunately,
finding a knowledgable salesperson is as difficult as finding a
component modem :-(

One thing I have told people to do is to simply demand a refund or
replacement for winmodems. It won't work everytime, but I've seen it
work often enough, even with the big box stores like Best Buy. Escalate
the issue up to managers and vice presidents if you have to.

David