Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2017 09:49:40 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Synaptics Issues

Hi there,

I have a laptop from System76 that has a synaptics touchpad.  I was
wondering how synaptics has been working on other platforms. I'm running
into issues with my touchpad which require me to either restart or
disable the device altogether.  I'm running CURRENT/drm-next - but
suspect this may happen on other releases as well.

symptoms:

- boot system without enabling synaptics via loader.conf.  moused
detects psm device, xorg picks up device and treats it as a sysmouse.
not advanced features work (palm detection for example) - but mouse
mostly works.  periodically the mouse will start jumping randomly on
display and i'll have to disable the mouse device and/or restart
computer to regain full control.

- boot system enabling synaptics via loader.conf.  xorg detects mouse
and loads the synaptics xorg driver.  advanced features mostly work -
but after a short amount of time (several hours) mouse becomes much more
erratic than scenario above.  a system restart is required to regain
control of mouse.

i've done a bunch of testing of passing synaptic Xorg params that I got
from a working ubuntu install, but that has not helped.  i'm kind of at
a loss at this point though, is the issue with Xorg or with FreeBSD's
synaptics kernel implementation?  any pointers for debugging would be
really appreciated!

-pete

--
Pete Wright