Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:40:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Margie W <walemom@yahoo.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Experiences with Compaq DL360 or 360 G2

Hey Fellow BSD People,

I've been charged by my boss to set up a small,
departmental HTTP/HTTPS and FTP server.  I've had some
great experiences with FreeBSD at home on my personal,
older PC equipment.  I'd like to recommend to my boss
that we run FreeBSD (performance, free, etc.) in this
project.  I need you're help though!

For the project, I must purchase a new server from
Compaq.  I can't custom build one, or utilize another
manufacturer.  That said, I am looking at the Compaq
DL 360 (or newer DL 360 G2).  Does anyone have any
good or bad experiences they can relay to me about
this model and compatibility with FreeBSD 4.5?  I
searched the archives and saw a SMP problem and BIOS
fix, but is there anything else?

I'm really looking for some reassurance before dishing
out the cash.  I'll admit this is the first time I'll
be buying big-dollar, new hardware server for a BSD
project & I'm a little aprehensive about recommending
BSD when I'm not even sure it will run on the thing!

My specific concerns are compatibility with:
- the dual integrated NIC (2 Compaq NC7780 Gigabit
Ethernet NIC Embedded 10/100/1000)

- the SCSI RAID Controller (5i Controller, with 32MB
memory)

- the video card w/ X (ATI Rage XL)

- Any issues with the larger capacity drives?  I.e is
there a maximum partition or drive size that I will
run into issues with if I go with a 36 GB or 72 GB
drive?  Or should I just stay with 18GB?

Any issues I should know about before recommending
this as a solution?  Should I stay with the older
DL360, or do the G2?

Thanks in advance!

(pls. respond via e-mail as I am not a list member!!)