Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:36:30 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@moneybookers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS patches.

Stefan Lambrev writes:
 > Greetings,
 >
 > I just got new server where I can experiment.
 > Any ideas how to install current using only ZFS?
 > Or I should start with UFS for root partition and then move to ZFS only?

Check out the tools that Yarema's put together:

   http://yds.coolrat.org/zfsboot.shtml

You should read through them, you may need to change e.g. where you
have the install CD mounted, and you'll probably want to change the
list of zfs filesystems that get built, but the tools do a great job
of collecting all of the little secrets for building a zfs on root
system.

BUT, be careful about trying to pick up and apply Pawel's latest
patches.  I'm currently wedged with a new kernel and automagically
upgraded zfs pool and an old userland that can't cope.  I can't mount
my various /usr, /usr/src, etc... filesystems so I can't installworld
with the patched stuff.  Catch-22.  Fortunately the box was set up for
just this experiment....

g.