Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:42:28 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        TERRY ALVIN MARK <terrya@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:

TERRY ALVIN MARK wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this will turn out to be a dumb install error,
> and not hardware related.
> I have been trying to install 2.1 on a system cosharing with
> windows 95, [Dell Dimen XPS 133C] IDE drives two separate both
> 2G with an IDE CD-ROM. Couldn't get tha atapi.flp to drive the CD-ROM.
> I tried initially to install FBSD via a DOS partition to the second disc,
> (which didn't work). Then I defragged the first disc, split it with FIPS
> equally and then tried to install into the second half of the disc.
> This gave a error message along the lines of "can't install root distribution".
> I read somewhere that the root partition has to end before 1024 cyl,
> so is this the problem? - I am going to redo FIPS to keep the root below
> 504MB. However I don't know why FBSD couldn't go on the second drive.
> I was also going to get 2.1.5 boot floppy to see if this will enable
> me to install 2.1 from IDE CD-ROM - will that work?
> cheers
> mark

A Subject line would be appreciated!

Ok, I don't belive in things like fips, So I have never used it!

It should install on the second drive.

Yes, You do need to keep the root slice (partition) below cylinder
 1024. (504MB)

I'll *assume* two IDE controllers: wd0, wd1..
With 2.1r & ATAPI CD's you need to have your drive setup like this:
	wd0: HD master
	     CD slave
	wd1: HD Master (Single)
This is do to a bug in 2.1r.

Installing from a dos partition is done all the time, It should
work no problem as long as the files are error free, and the tree
structure is setup properly.
ie:
	C:\FREEBSD\BIN
	           FLOPPIES
etc... etc...

Nope Sorry, I don't belive the 2.1.5 boot.flp will work for 2.1r.

Make sure you create you boot.flp from dos 6.22 or less! Dos mode
of W95 conflicts with rawrite.exe.

Run dos fdisk on your second drive and blow away all attemps
to install FreeBSD on it.
Create a small dos partition.. (This will get deleted in a few)

Boot with your boot disk built from dos 6.22 or less and rawrite.exe
At the Boot: prompt do a '-c' and goto visual and disable/correct
all settings.
Continue on..
While in the disk editor BLOW away the dos partition and create
the FreeBSD slices (partitions)
	*DO NOT (W)rite anything!*

Once done, If you get an error saying something on the lines of:
	No operating system found
Boot dos and use fdisk to set a partition active!

I'm sure I missed a step or two but I belive I covered the problem
spots.. :)

Main things are:
Delete any previous partition attempts!
Create a small dos partition.
  (Helps FreeBSD get the  disk geometry correct)
Create the boot disk from dos 6.22 or less! W95 Dos mode conflicts.
And the drive cabling configuration as noted above!
Don't (W)rite anything.

Luck

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848