Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Wahyu Hidayat <wahyuhid@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running out of mbuf

Don't CC: questions and stable.  Redirecting to -questions.

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Wahyu Hidayat wrote:

> Thanks for all your immediate reply.
>
> Sure I have raised NMBCLUSTERS (in my netstat shows to
> 20480).
>
> What is the explanation for my previous post about max
> mbufs has not reached, but it already shows about mbuf
> allocation failed ? What if I increase nmbclusters but
> this problems still occurs ?

You should make sure you aren't experiencing network latency or
degredation.... slow network causes data to bottle up in the kernel and
will run you out. Are your users local or on modems?

Otherwise, keep jacking up NMBCLUSTERS until it quiets or you get to
80,000 or so ...  after that you might consider a new machine to split the
load.

Note you're running out of _clusters_.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org