Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:51:23 +0100
From:      James Greenhalgh <james-list@ntlworld.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linuxulator on SMP systems broken?

My machine is still suffering these problems when SMP support is enabled, and
it should be noted that it hangs very much more quickly when using linuxemu
(in my case opera, but also netscape).  I only had 2 system hangs when in
console mode, but closer to 20 with linuxemu running.  These are _total_
system hangs, requiring power cycle.

james

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:03:25 +0200 (CEST)
"Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Within the last week we rushed into a seriuos SMP problem with our SMP
servers
> due a bug in the FBSD 4.2-STABLE code. Since then we have also on all SMP
systems
> a problem with several Linux applications, which work perfect on UP systems
with the
> same installation and installation date (as cvsupdated today).
>
> It is very important to have NCAR graphics 4.2.1 working here and it did
before
> the 1. June.
>
> The phenomenon is, that an application called IDT (a visualization tool
under
> NCARG) works perfect under all UP systems and suddenly not under our SMP
machines.
> When applying a 'truss idt' I receive a "SIG 20" whenever I try to push a
button.

> Does anyone else have problems with the Linuxulator after the horrible SMP
problems?
> Maybe this problem is not related to the SMP problem, but it is very
suspicous that
> it occured after this problem occured due the fact we did not change any
kind of
> configuration ...
>
> --
> MfG
> O. Hartmann
>
> ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
> IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
> Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
> Becherweg 21
> 55099 Mainz
>
> Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)
> Tel: +496131/3924144
> FAX: +496131/3923532

find great crazy-mad out-of-head experience from japan.