Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2007 17:22:31 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Jason Vance <jason@theyhost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE source update fails during compilation

Jason Vance wrote:
> I'm unable to buildworld on a brand new installation of freebsd 6.1.  Almost
> everytime my build fails on the genattrtab.c section of cc_tools.  I've tried
> multiple harddrives, and downloaded the source code many times.  A couple of
> times the system has rebooted itself, once during cvsup of the source code, and
> again during a build.
>
> What else should I be looking for to diagnose this problem?
>
> My System:
>
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
> 733MHZ Intel P3
> Asus pv3-4x latest bios 1006.004
> Sound Blaster Live
> Voodoo 3 16mb GFX Card
> HDDs:  I've tried 3 different drives, the first few tries were with 2 drives
> gmirror'd and then without the gmirror ( RAID 1 )
>
> Memtest checks out ok ( Ran 5 hours 150 loops )
>
> Here is the last few lines of everytime I've tried to compile the source.

Failures likes these are almost always hardware related.  If it was a
software problem it would die at the same place every time.  You
could be suffering from overheating, bad ram (regardless of what
memtest tells you) power fluctuations due to a faulty PSU, or any
other number of esoteric problems.  FreeBSD has this knack of not
playing nicely with partially broken hardware. :)

Thanks,

Josh Paetzel