Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:34:35 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com>
To:        Ed Budd <ebudd@grokking.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mozilla and courier-imap

Ed Budd wrote:
>> I'm using the most recent ports for mozilla and courier-imap on an
>>  up-to-date FreeBSD-stable.  Very often I will not see new messages
>> in a folder until I restart mozilla.  I was convinced it was
>> mozilla that was broken, but I've seen similar behavior using
>> Thunderbird on my Windows box.  Now I'm not so sure.
>
> How are messages being routed to folders? If you're using some kind
> of server-side filtering make sure the box is checked that says
> "check this folder for new messages" in the properties of each
> folder. If the only filtering is through the user-configured rules in
> mozilla/thunderbird then everything gets delivered to the INBOX (or
> whatever is set up as imap root folder) and then filtered/routed to
> other folders AFTER the client is opened/started.
>
> IOW this may be normal behaviour, not a broken client.

All the filtering is on the client side, so that is not the problem.
The odd thing is that the client shows that there are new messages in
the folder.  But when you click on the folder, none of the new messages
are in the listing.  It looks like a caching problem, but I'm not sure
if it is the client or server that is having the problem.

But thanks for the response.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman@criticalmagic.com